Thursday

This Home Alone Happiness

Recently my chiropractor (who incidentally I love) asked me what my favourite Christmas movie was. Without hesitation, I spat out "Home Alone!" I love everything about that movie. This year I think I watched it for the first time before Halloween. Don't judge. So, this post is dedicated to my brother, Devin and sister, Chandler. We watch the movie together, order pizza and drink pop as a sibling tradition. Yes, I'm almost 30, but I don't see that tradition stopping, like ever.


via

Besides the music and how happy the movie makes me, the McCallister home is something I've adored - okay coveted - for over 20 years. Nestled in the historic Chicago town of Winnetka, this gorgeous Georgian style home was built in the 1920s and is the standard I hold all houses to. To be frank - I want to live here. I'd prefer it were in Toronto, but I'm not too picky. I won't ride my toboggan down the staircase and out the front door, but I know I'd throw a killer soiree in that beauty. As soon as the ink dries on the mortgage papers, you're all invited over. We'll have plain cheese pizza and Pepsi just like Kevin would prefer.

via
When my parents rented this movie for me in the summer of 1991, I was 9 years old. I thought everything was hilarious. I thought Kevin's plan to thwart the Wet Bandits was genius. I laughed the entire time. I know every word. Watching this movie reminds me of being a little girl and I think that's why it means so much to me. Last year I waited until December 23rd to watch the movie. My brother had to finish school for the semester and get back home for Christmas and we decided we none of us would watch it until we could watch it together. I fell asleep before it was over. It's okay, I know how it ends.


via

Watch one of the original trailers...what a gem.

What is your favourite Christmas movie? What does it mean to you? Why is it your favourite?

2 comments:

Kerry said...

What a great tradition. My parents still have this one on VHS... but we'll have to buy it on DVD for Halle for sure. It's a classic.

My favourite must watch is Love Actually. I'm a Christmas fiend, so I really love them all... but Love Actually does it for me everytime, and ever since the first time I saw it, I've wanted to spend just ONE Christmas in London.... but for now your post just has me craving pizza and pop...

Major Gal said...

Kerry - Halle MUST have this flick on DVD. her childhood won't be complete if she doesn't. xoxo