Monday

This Mix Tape

Alright, this morning I was blasting the 90s on 9 station in the Jeep. Of all the stations on satellite radio, this might be the one that gets me singing the loudest. While cruising down the highway one absolute gem began dancing through my speakers. That's right ladies, the boys from Color Me Badd were serenading me on my way to work. Now, normally I don't like people singing to me or in my presence (unless they're legit singers) because I get uncomfortable for them. If you haven't been signed to a label, you're not a songbird so please don't sign to me or around me because it makes me want to gag. I hate karaoke and being around those who do it, but that's another story. Aside from my insane discomfort with being sung to, I was able to bring myself back to the night of my 10th birthday party as I shouted out each word (alone of course) as I drove.

My mom got me the Color Me Badd tape for my birthday and I played it, flipped it over, rewound it and played it again - on repeat - the entire night. The girls at my sleepover party hated me, but I had to learn every word...to the entire album. I still know all the words and I'm turning 30 in a couple of months.

On a side note, I wish I hadn't Googled the band to see what they look like today. I prefer to remember the boys like this:
via

Now, when I hear "Dream on, dream away. I think I'm gonna have to stay. Stay forever..." I'm going to picture dudes in their 40s still "living" the dream and not the hunks I adored as a young girl. I don't speak a lick of Spanish, but I still kill this verse every time I Adore comes on the radio:
Chica tu eres mi vida la ternura
Y alegria amor
Y este sueƱo
contigo sera verdad (yeah Yeah)


There you have it. My guilty pleasure. I love Color Me Badd and I sung every word to I Wanna Sex You Up long before I knew what any of it really meant.

No comments: