Friday

This Christmas Music Thang

Mama loves her Christmas music. My satellite radio is currently set to the holly station so everywhere me and the Jeep go, we're caroling away. Deck them halls and yadda yadda. Seriously though, I really love Christmas music, so I thought I'd share some of my absolute favourites with you in case you need some festivating (it's a new word, taken from the English "festivities" and morphed by me into a new term) inspiration.



via
Merry Christmas, Darling by The Carpenters. This entire album is wonderful. Karen died far too young.

Christmas Song by The Raveonettes. Do I garner some cool cred with this one?

Elf's Lament by The Barenaked Ladies. A gem! Listen to the lyrics and the artistry in the rhymes. Canuck boys - <3

Carol of the Bells - any version will do. First time I heard this was on a Christmas episode of ER...many moons ago. Back when Clooney was still on.

Wintersong by Sarah McLachlan. The first time I heard this I bawled. It reminded me so much of my mom that I wept huge tears over missing her most at Christmastime.

Christmas Wrapping by The Waitresses. Please add this to your holiday play list and dance whenever it comes on. You won't be sorry.

If you don't own the entire album - go out and get it. Vince Guaraldi Trio's Christmas is Coming, first heard in the tv broadcast of A Charlie Brown Christmas.

Pure 80s genius, Last Christmas by Wham! I like this song so much I could listen to it year round. I have it on a regular cd (remember when we burned cds?) and sometimes I do Christmas in July...in my car...by myself.

Merry Christmas Baby by THE BOSS. This is my favourite version. Everyone else should knock it off and stop trying. He's the man and I've had enough of your popstar antics - got it?

River by Robert Downey Jr. This is obviously a cover of Joni Mitchell's song. Holla to the Canadians on my list!! During the bad boy's stint on Ally McBeal I may have fallen deeply in love with him and this song crushes my heart into a billion pieces.

So, here's the thing. This list could go on and on, but you all have lives and want to get back to listening to cool, hipster, indie music or rap or whatever and you're like "Come on Major Gal. Enough with the festivating already." So, that's it that's all folks.

No comments: