Friday

This is Holiday Music Time

I will fully admit, that for me Christmas begins as soon as the trick or treaters have gone home with their loot. That means I've been in holiday mode since October 31st. Yes. I love everything about it. I've been listening to Christmas music online all day at work and now that I've discovered the Sirius holiday channels, I haven't switched the dial in the Jeep for weeks. I could live in Christmas land if there were such a place. I've never grown out of it. I'm a grown woman, but I still want to believe in Santa and I really do believe that the magic of the holidays brings something special to each of us. We're happier, we're merry while we dash about buying presents and attending holiday parties. We make time to see friends and our calendars are full of fun stuff like baking, present wrapping (I actually hate wrapping presents), Home Alone watching, candy cane eating and eggnog drinking. What could be better?

I've been thinking about how much I love Christmas music and why it means so much to me. My mom was all about the holidays and I've inherited that love from her. I've adopted her holiday music collection and my favourite Christmas cd is the original Mariah Carey holiday album from the mid 90s. My mom bought it for me at Eatons and I can still listen to it forever. Maybe my love for the holidays is overkill, but my whole family is just like me so it works. We get excited. We do Kris Kringle gift exchanges, we have gingerbread house competitions and crafternoon events, we sing Christmas carols and always spend Christmas Eve together.



Here are some of my favourite holiday songs in no particular order.
1) Last Christmas by Wham
2) Mele Kalikimaka by Bing Crosby
3) O Holy Night - any decent version. My favourite line is "...fall on your knees..." It's just so powerful
4) Christmas in Hollis by Run DMC
5) Christmas (Baby Please Come Home) both the U2 and Mariah Carey versions
6) anything from the Charlie Brown Christmas album
7) Mary's Boy Child by Boney M
8) Anything from the Nutcracker
9) Carol of the Bells - excellent and great build up
10)I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus by John Cougar Mellencamp
Pretty much the entire A Very Special Christmas album (the original) is great. Oh! I also really enjoy the Maybe This Christmas series by various artists. The Death Cab for Cutie version of my number 5 favourite song is great, then again I like everything by Death Cab.

Anyways, this is just a taste of what I'll be listening to this season while I clean my condo and get it ready for Santa. I'm even decorating Gigi. She has a holiday collar and leash set and does NOT like the antler headband I just bought her. If I get one picture of her in it, I'll be thrilled.

This weekend throw on some Christmas tunes. Find a free station online or download some to your iPod. It will make you happy, I promise.

No comments: